Our Principal Sponsors: Gateshead Central JCS Hire
Chester-le-Street United Women 4-3 Gateshead FC Ladies

Match Details

Match Date: Sunday 16th April 2023
Kick Off: 14:00
Crid Murray
Player of the Match: Crid Murray Midfielder
Sunday 16th April 2023 league
Gateshead FC Ladies Gateshead FC Ladies
Chester-le-Street United Women Chester-le-Street United Women
Line Up Report
Thomas Hill
Match Report: Thomas Hill

Chester-le-Street claim all three points despite Gateshead’s valiant effort to halt the County Durham side in a 4-3 defeat.

Gateshead came into this match looking to build on an impressive 3-2 win away at Washington AFC Women, following manager Carl Morrison’s midweek comments about aiming to win every remaining game.

Despite starting well in the first few minutes, the first event of the game fell in the hands of the hosts. Chester-le-Street United were quick to counter, and after just five minutes was the first controversial event of the game.

In a shot destined for the bottom-right corner, the ball was blocked by Charlotte Hoganson. The home side made claims that the ball had struck her hand, but the referee quickly waved away protests.

In a similar build-up, Gateshead were quick to respond before the 15-minute mark. Crid Murray displayed excellent footwork, beating two Chester-le-Street United players before creating Heed’s first chance.

Murray’s floating cross met Olivia Black, who was ready to finish but was pushed down by the central defender for the hosts. The referee deemed there was little contact, and another penalty claim was denied.

Two minutes later, the hosts opened the scoring. A powerful run from the winger allowed the County Durham side to create a chance, which was neatly tucked away.

Carl Morrison and Hugo Djassi were eager for the side to respond, encouraging Gateshead to get forward. Just three minutes after Chester-le-Street fired in front, Murray displayed excellent dribbling again, this time meeting Kirsty Pickering, who had a well-timed header glance just wide.

Gateshead refused to stop pushing, and got the reward on 23 minutes. After a powerful shot was initially saved by the goalkeeper, the South Tynesiders bundled the line to bury the loose ball in the back of the net, Olivia Black the scorer.

After the equaliser, Chester-le-Street United regained control of the game. The hosts dominated wing-play and continued to use this to their advantage. After numerous missed chances, all created by the same style of play, Heed were punished.

United continued the pressure, and just three minutes before half-time, a long ball came into the box, which was headed out from Gateshead. The ball landed to the feet of hosts number eight, who calmly dribbled past Carly Salmon and placed the ball into the empty net.

Gateshead had a mountain to climb in the second half, and came out with a fighting spirit focused on attacking play. Crid Murray beat five Chester-le-Street defenders before narrowly missing the top-right corner.

The hosts had a few chances of their own and forced excellent saves out of Carly Salmon, as well as outstanding defensive work to keep Heed in the game.

Despite this, Chester-le-Street added another to the tally against the run of play. A cushioned shot into the bottom-left corner was enough to beat Gateshead’s defence despite attempts to get the ball out of the box.

Carl Morrison’s side knew that they had to score to have a chance of taking a share of the points, and they pressed highly with 20 minutes left on the clock. With the ball ready to be pumped into the box, Heed won a penalty after an off-the-ball incident brought the striker down.

Crid Murray put away the penalty with confidence, and Gateshead had to add another to take something away from the game.

In the search for a point, Heed made a defensive error, playing in Chester-le-Street to make it 4-2 with just 12 minutes to go.

Chester-le-Street put every player behind the ball to prevent a determined Gateshead from getting back into the game.

It took ten minutes before Heed scored in controversial style. Crid Murray finished past the hosts’ goalkeeper, winning the ball and placing it into the bottom-left corner. Contact was made between the two players, and both lay down injured for five minutes, before both were keen to continue.

Just one minute from the end, Gateshead had given everything and were exhausted. Chester-le-Street had one final chance to add to their goal tally, but excellent work from Carly Salmon denied the hosts.

The full-time whistle was blown at Chester-le-Street United Women 4-3 Gateshead Ladies.

Gateshead Ladies manager Carl Morrison’s post match comments:

“We were up against it. From the start of the day, we had a lot of personnel missing while playing. Some players had to play out of position, so we knew it would be tough. With the difference only being one goal, it was disappointing, but I’m also proud at the same time.”

“The players dug in and put a massive shift in. The pitch was heavy as well. There was a lot of hard running involved, and I’m proud of the way they kept going until the end. We were unfortunate not to pinch a draw at the end.”

“It may have looked like the day she [Crid Murray] didn’t score because she didn’t get many chances early on with the way we were playing. But she put away the penalty and then somehow managed to beat the keeper for her second. When she’s on your team, you’ve always got goals.”

Share This Match Overview

Official Club Partners

error: Content is protected.